Sunday, November 24, 2013

Kale Chips - Yay Chipster!

Lately I've heard a lot of "ohh kale chips and sooooo good!" and "oh yeah! Kale chips are my totally guilt-free guilty pleasure" and "omnomnomnom". To be honest, I wasn't sure I could get on board with kale chips. It's crunchy leaves, how exactly can that be a satisfying snack food?!
So when Donna loaned me her Chipster and asked me to review it, I thought this might be a good chance to give them a try. I bought a small batch of kale and chucked it into my crisper. A week went by and I looked at the bunch of slowly wilting leaves and again thought "how can this leafy crap make a decent snack?!" Finally, the kale was on it's last legs. It was getting droopy and sad looking and needed be used or tossed. So what the hey, I ripped off some leaves, put them on the Epicure Selections Chipster, and popped them in the microwave for 3 minutes. When it beeped, the leaves didn't outright look very different, but when I picked one up I was surprised at just how crisp it had become. Down the hatch! I popped it in my mouth and... it wasn't bad. It wasn't a potato chip good, but it was a light, crunchy, not too bad, sort of good. I ate another and then all of them, and thought to myself, maybe I could get on board with kale chips. And really, if you don't add a crazy amount of salt or extras, they really are a guilt-free snack. I just ordered my very own Chipster and I can't wait to make kale chips again... the next test will be if either of the JiggleyBoys will eat them.
Oh and just a heads up - they can be a bit crumbly, and they aren't really the greatest for dunking in thick or heavy dips.

Do you want your own Chipster to experiment with? Remember that November's #JiggleyMommysFavThings is EPICURE! You can place your order HERE with Donna, and remember to add your order to the Jiggley party so that you can be entered into some great draws at the end of the month

No comments:

Post a Comment