Thursday, November 21, 2013

Jiggley Mommy Gift-Giving Guide for the Christmas Challenged

Every year I am a bit under-whelmed by my husbands gift giving abilities. It's not that he isn't generous and thoughtful; it's that he usually can't get shopping until days before Christmas. He's usually rushed and agitated by the holiday crowds. Usually, after an hour or two, he'll throw his hands up in the air and just grab me a giftcard to La Senza (partly hoping that I'll trade in my comfies for something he'll enjoy a bit more, I'm sure!) or Chapters. I'm almost positive that I am not the only woman, the only wife, the only mom, out there who goes through this every year. "Oh yay! Another housecoat and book store gift card! Thank you family", as they tear into gifts that you have lovingly thought about, purchased and wrapped, knowing it would be cherished.
So how about a little help? Most, if not all, of these products and services are available locally in Red Deer and Central Alberta, unless there is noted shipping within Canada.
Whether you want a little something extra to fluff up a stocking or you are completely clueless as to what to put under the tree this year - here are a few ideas that should please the Mommy, the Wifey, the Woman (or even some men) in your life!

  • Cool Beans Bus gift cards! Cool Beans does specialty coffees and paninis AND is a really cool place to just hang out. We #LoveTheBus!
  • Angel Faces Make up Artistry - Jamie does Ah-MAZING makeup, plus she does MOBILE waxing and pedicures! How perfect is that for the busy mom who can't wrangle a sitter and get out of the house for a little pampering?!? Gift cards and prepaid services are available - check out her facebook page for prices.
  • Pampered Chef - for the foodie in your life, PC makes high quality cook and bake ware and pretty much ANYTHING else your kitchen might need. Their stoneware is top-notch and I highly recommend it to anyone who will listen (if you are on my personal facebook page, then you are probably tired of me touting the awesomeness of my stoneware). PC ships anywhere in Canada. Order before December 8th, to make sure it gets to you in enough time for Christmas.
  • Epicure - Another for the foodie in your life. You know what I hate? I hate those baskets/boxes of super processed cheese and mustards and what-have-you, that are kicking around during the holiday season. Epicure is all high quality ingredients, many of which are low to no sodium. There are gift packages available or order up a bunch of different spices and make your own yummy gift basket! The Hipster Chipster Collection is on my wishlist this year (hint hint, nudge nudge) - If you are ordering right now, you can attach your order to the Jiggley 'party' and be entered to win a prize this month! Epicure can ship anywhere in Canada! 
  • Goodbye My Muffintop - ok, this is a tricky one. They are a small, weight release business. But they are WAY more than just a diet company. Not only do they offer a program for releasing extra weight, they have supporting suppliments (I currently take their Adrenal Support which helps flip "the bitch switch" as Kelly has so lovingly stated), and they are amazing supportive women. Their aim is for embracing the beauty that is you, in all shapes and sizes. You release way more than just weight with this company, you release your preconceived ideas of beauty and food relationships and how your body works. This is not the kind of gift that you can just get and put under the tree (just imagine the "ohh, so you think I'm fat?!" surprise reaction), but it's a wonderful gift for someone who has maybe been thinking about it, but hasn't taken the next step to actually purchasing the products. 
  • The Art of Lauren Cowles - if you are looking for a one of a kind, statement piece - check her out! Lauren's mixed medium artwork is beautiful and original. She also plays host to a wonderful Be-YOU-tiful Art retreat. Check out her facebook page or website for info on her available pieces (I recently saw some awesome stamped leather bracelets on her page!) and when she's got shows or retreats in the works. 
  • Photography Package - Most mum's have a bazillion pictures of their kid(s) and or their families, but just how many of those pictures are they actually in? Once in awhile I'll get my hubby to snap a picture of me or me and the boys and I'm always disapointed with it. He'll snap a few quick shots and I'm either getting into position, my eyes are closed or his angle is just flat out WRONG for me. So why not gift your lovely with a photo package, where she can not only be in front of the camera, but she can get photos captured by a professional who knows how to highlight what needs to be highlighted and diminish areas that she might be a little more sensitive to? (Like for real I never thought of myself as having a second chin or such an amazingly stubby neck before my hubby clicked a few pictures of me) I highly recommend Amber Bourett Photography, for fun, easy-going, family portraits (She's done our last 2!) - She's also amazing for birth and newborn photography. 
  • The Gift of Giving - Something that touches my heart, is if my hubby pays enough attention to things that I am passionate about. Lots of those things include helping other people, or trying to brighten someones day, somehow. You could make a donation in someones name to a charity or to a cause that is meaningful to them. There are a ton of different organizations that you can do this with. Two that are close to my heart right now are: Tales for Tots - Each $5 donation gets a book for a child spending time on the PEDS unit in Red Deer, and Cystic Fibrosis Canada
**None of these companies, services or people have paid or compensated me in anyway to endorse or sell their products/services. They are people/services/products that I, personally, believe in and stand behind. 

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful challenge..I loved the gift ideas too.
    Thanks a lot for sharing.

    ReplyDelete