Friday, January 10, 2014

Sausage in a Swimsuit

The only thing I hate more than swimsuit shopping is actually wearing a swimsuit. When you are completely self-conscious about your size or how you look, wearing swim wear can be an anxiety envoking event. No matter the suit, I almost always end up feeling like an overstuffed sausage. Feeling like this then results in two things; the entire time I'm at the pool I feel like every single person there is looking (and laughing) at me, and/or I just don't get in the water.
This second result, is sad. I'm practically a single mother to two amazing little boys. They LOVE swimming. THEY don't care if I'm a size 6 or 16 in a swimsuit. When they are in their thirties, they aren't going to be remember that I didn't like to go to the pool because I felt awkward in a swimsuit. No! They're going to remember that Mommy didn't take them swimming.
<insert a lightbulb here>
How many things have I NOT done, because I let my size or shape negative self image get in the way? How many beach days? Or picnics at the park? How many bike rides? How many times did I just not feel pretty enough or fun enough or small enough or... enough enough? ENOUGH!
Tonight after supper I'm taking the boys swimming. I'm going to stuff myself into my bathing suit. And yes, I'll be uncomfortable, but my boys won't know that. I'm going to splash with them and blow bubbles with them and it's going to be awesome. And when they're in their thirties and trying to figure out what kind of parent they want to be, I hope they'll remember all the times that Mummy did fun things like take them to the pool, or on bike rides, or on picnics at the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment