Thursday, October 31, 2013

The Hallowe'en Horde

As a kid, I can remember searching out the biggest pillow case in the house to go trick-or-treating with. We would plan out candy route, based on the houses that gave out the best candy (I can remember the few houses that gave out full sized chocolate bars and we'd always try to hit them up twice). We would stay out, wandering the neighbourhood until our sack was full. You knew it was a good haul if you still had candy by my birthday (the end of June), you knew you had an AWESOME haul if you were still able to nibble on the odd rocket or, now hard, tootsie pop by the start of the next school year.
SUGAR SUGAR SUGAR!!!
The candy hording is not going to be a tradition that I want to pass on to my boys. I don't want mounds of crap laying around, taunting me, taunting JiggleyBoy. But candy is a big part of this holiday. JiggleyBoy is all too aware of how it all works.
So, I'm starting a new rule. When we get home tonight from trick-or-treating, he will be allowed to eat 2 pieces of candy. Then tomorrow, after I've gone through it to toss anything that is open, the hard ball type candies that I'm petrified will choke one of my children, and all the razor blades (This is what my mom and dad used to tell us; that there were people who put razor blades in kids Halloween candy and they had to make sure ours was safe... and thus they enforced the secret Candy Tax that takes place after kids have passed out.). Then he will be allowed to pick 20 pieces of candy. It's up to him how he wants to eat that candy; if he wants to eat it all then and there or parcel it out over 20 days. But that's it, that's all. The rest of it gets put into a bag, tied up, and put in the garage for when JiggleyDaddy comes home from work - he can take it back with him and share with his crew.

Do you allow candy in your house? What is your action plan when it comes to Halloween candy this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment