Sunday, April 17, 2011

Biggest Challenge

Jo has said it about a hundred and three times; it's not about going hard all day every day, it's about not giving up. "Ditch the all or nothing attitude" (147 times, I've heard that one!). So our biggest challenge is not how many box jumps or helicopter burpees or pretzel yoga moves, it's how we deal with falling off the wagon.
This last week I've been supremely sick. I even tried to workout, but my body gave out. No excuses, especially here. For the first time, I wasn't relieved to be sick so I could take a break from being healthy (now I hope that makes sense to someone out there!). I was actually sad that I couldn't go running with Mandy. I was choked that I was missing my personal training with Jo, even though I knew she was going to kick my ass for not eating enough. I was frustrated that my body was trying to wimp out on me! I kept telling myself "tomorrow!" Tomorrow I'd feel well enough to pound out 100 crunches. Tomorrow I'd be strong enough to go check the mail. Tomorrow I'd have enough energy to get off the couch. Well it's still not tomorrow.
But the sickness isn't what blows my mind. It's that I've changed so much that I'm anticipating how I'm going to get back to where I was (which was working out 6x a week). I'm already making a plan and goals and setting up my supports so that when I do have enough energy, when I have my strength back, when I'm finally on the mend, I can just get back to it. No 'easing into it' excuses, no putting it off, no backsliding into a pool of Easter candy.
So "I'll try again tomorrow!"

No comments:

Post a Comment