Monday, October 7, 2013

8765

1 year
12 months
52 weeks
365 days
8765 hours
525,949 minutes

That's how long it takes for a squealing ball of flesh to become a little boy.

A year ago I lazily got out of bed, checked my thawing turkey and sat on the couch to cuddle my big boy. I felt like Thanksgiving supper was the first meal I was really looking forward to, since I had all day, all trimesters morning sickness. My mouth was watering for turkey and mashed potatoes and all the fixings. Shawn was making a lemon meringue pie and I could barely wait to taste it.
Then my water broke.
All through my short labour (and delivery) I complained that I was missing my turkey dinner. And, looking back, Sawyer interrupting my dinner plans, should have been a sign of the kind of boy he'd become. He has had his own plans, right from the beginning.
He marches to his own drum, my boy. He is sweet and silly. He's tender and cuddly. He's got a bit of a jealous side to him, that comes with being a second child. He is curious; already pointing and asking "dat?". He is stubborn; he gets that from his daddy. When he smiles, it lights up the world. When he's upset and frustrated (and especially when he's overtired) he's got a scream that can make your ears bleed. He gets concerned when he hears another baby cry, and he loves the sound of another baby laughing. His absolute favorite thing in the world is balloons, which he can spot from an incredible distance. When he's done eating, he throws his food on the floor... while looking me right.in.the.eye. And he saves his best kisses for his big brother, who he thinks is the coolest kid ever.
I'm not sure exactly how we went from this tiny little lump of baby to this little toddling boy. I wish I could pinpoint which week or day he suddenly transitioned into this little person with a personality all his own.

Happy Birthday Binky!! We love you so sooooo much!

No comments:

Post a Comment