Monday, September 9, 2013

Sleepless Nights

As my sons first birthday approaches, I feel this insane amount of pressure to get him sleeping through the night. Part of it is that I know he is old enough, and developmentally ready enough, to handle sleeping for longer than 4 hours at a time. Part of it is jealousy of the other babies we know, in and around the same age as JiggleyBaby, who are sleeping soundly (many of whom seem to have been sleeping well through the night for quite some time). Part is a little outside pressure from family and/or friends. And a big part is that I am so.freaking.tired. I'm not really sure how long I can function in this sleep deprivation.
For the longest time, JiggleyBaby's 'normal' sleep routine was; bed by 7:30, wake up and nurse at 3ish am, wake/nurse anywhere between 5 and 6:30 (IF it was before 6:15, I could usually get him to snooze for another 45 minutes to an hour). But for the last 2 weeks, he hasn't gone for longer than 2 hours at a stretch, and then needing usually 20-40 minutes of rocking/nursing/snuggling/shushing/bum patting before he's back to sleep. And because it's really only ever been ME to take care of bedtime, he loses his noodle if DaddyMan so much as breathes outside his bedroom door.
I've gotten all sorts of helpful (and not so helpful) advice; just let him cry, do a pick up/put down technique, modified crying it out, pacifiers and no pacifiers, self soothing and parental soothing and and and. I'm overwhelmed. Last night for over an hour I tried to do everything BUT nurse him back to sleep and he screamed bloody murder, waking DaddyMan and JiggleyBoy. And how, you might ask, did he finally go to sleep? Nursing. While I was quietly sobbing, so as not to disturb his precious balance of twilight snacking. Then, after the 3 stage process of getting him out of my arms and into his crib, I tiptoed back to my own bed to sob into my pillow.
I feel like such a failure. And why, exactly? Because my baby isn't sleeping - which could be for any number of reasons, one of them likely isn't me. I can't get him to fall asleep on his own, but I can't let him cry himself out, but I can't just let him comfort suck, but I can't... ACK! Why have I put so much pressure on myself?!?
ENOUGH!
Tonight, when my baby wakes up crying out for me, I'm going nurse him back to sleep. I'm going to slowly rock him (even though my chair has a squeak that makes my left eye twitch). Tomorrow I'm going to check his mouth for new teeth, watch for signs of an ear infection, give him some pear juice to make sure he poops, go for a walk in the fresh air, and keep his bedtime routine predictable. And if, when, he wakes up tomorrow night, I'm going to slowly rock him and nurse him back to sleep. And that's ok, right?

1 comment:

  1. Heck yes it is! My baby is 9 months old and wakes at 10, 1/2, 3, 5 and 6/7. He's slept one whole night without waking. And that night I woke anyways and fought myself to not sneak in his room and cuddle him.

    ReplyDelete